Thursday, October 15, 2009

Outlaw

"Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning."

- Gloria Steinem

Before looking up quotes that I could use as an introduction to my point, I had no idea who Gloria Steinem was. A quick check of Wikipedia reveals that she is some far-left feminist from the 60's that, if I had any interest in reading farther, I would probably consider a nut. But, even hippies can say something intelligent every once in awhile, and I like this quote.

I have a dream of some day owning my own business. I could go into details of my great idea, but some random stranger might stroll across this site and steal it. Maybe some other time. Anyways, I was thinking of what I wanted my theme to be. I wanted the theme to reflect some personal principles as well as American principles, so I went on eBay just to get some ideas of icons or symbols that might be a good fit. Johnny Depp made the the cut twice, as posters of Public Enemies and Pirates of the Caribbean were hanging on my imaginary wall right next to posters of the Blues Brothers, Bob Dylan, and Johnny Cash. These characters represent the ideals of freedom and initiative that I was looking for. Then I noticed something:

John Dillinger = Outlaw

Captain Jack Sparrow = Outlaw

Jake & Elwood = Outlaws

Johnny Cash= Goes with the image

Bob Dylan = Cultural Revolutionary

Back in high school (I promise that some day I will stop starting sentences with "Back in high school"...but not today) I had people tell me that they viewed me as a laid-back dude and respected me for saying what was on my mind, no matter the consequence. When I first jumped into the military lifestyle that I now lead I was concerned that my free thought process and characteristics that made me an individual would evaporate and my pre-military self would be just a memory, replaced by a well-disciplined drone.

Today, I do everything that a recruit is supposed to do. I stand in line with everyone else, eat like a robot, keep my eyes straight ahead, do what I am told and answer how I'm suppose to answer. Outwardly, there is nothing that distinguishes me from anyone else. Everything is the same, and all displays of emotion are discouraged. However, instead of my mind turning to goo, the opposite has happened. I feel that my mind is churning faster than ever; I have questioned and reviewed my purpose, scouted different paths, and have strengthened some of my own beliefs while opening the door to new possibilities. Recognition of one's place in the world and the characteristics that make them different is something that should be embraced and used as a guide through life. In the Spring of my life I look ahead and see endless opportunities. Opportunities that I have the freedom to seize only if I have initiative to reach for them, no matter the popular consequence. Perhaps it's that spirit in an outlaw that I admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment